Ethiopia is home to a variety of unique and endemic species. Explore with the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) and discover remote Bale Mountains National Park—home to rare Ethiopian wolves and over 300 species of birds—and Simien Mountains National Park, where the engaging gelada baboons reside. Ethiopia is known for its legendary historical sites, including some of the earliest churches known to Christendom in Lalibela and the royal castles of Gondar.
- Learn more about the AWF’s important work with a stay at Limalimo, a conservation enterprise lodge developed by AWF, and visit an AWF Classroom Africa school, which provides primary education for local children.
- Enjoy the convenience and comfort of private air charters to Ethiopia’s wild parks and historic highlands.
- Hike through the extraordinary hagenia forest, and explore the high plateau of Bale Mountains National Park in search of Africa’s most endangered carnivore — the Ethiopian wolf.
- Get up close with enormous troops of gelada monkeys, and see breathtaking scenery from your lodge perched high on an escarpment in the Simien Mountains.
- Explore the extraordinary subterranean rock churches of Lalibela, an active site of worship where religious ritual is central to life in this town.
- Day 1-2 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Nov 1 2021 to Nov 2 2021Arrive in Addis Ababa International Airport and transfer to the Sheraton Addis Hotel. Meet your AWF safari leader and fellow travelers for a briefing on your adventure ahead. The next day, after a leisurely morning, venture into the city to visit national sites, including the Holy Trinity Church and the National Museum. Visit a local market and enjoy a traditional coffee ceremony. B,L,D
- Day 3-5 Bale Mountains National Park Nov 3 2021 to Nov 5 2021This morning, take a private charter flight to Goba and enjoy a scenic drive through the national park to Bale Mountain Lodge, a conservation enterprise lodge supported by AWF. Bale Mountains National Park is a premier destination for wildlife enthusiasts, hikers, birdwatchers and cultural explorers. Hike the local hagenia forest and drive over the high plateau in search of the rare Ethiopian wolf. With fewer than 400 of these wolves remaining, they are the most endangered carnivore in all of Africa. B,L,D daily
- Day 6-8 Simien Mountains National Park Nov 6 2021 to Nov 8 2021After an early breakfast, return to Goba for your private charter flight to the historic city of Gondar. After a brief city tour, drive to the breathtaking Simien Mountains National Park, with views often compared to the Grand Canyon. Limalimo Lodge is a conservation enterprise lodge developed by AWF and is perched on the edge of the escarpment to take full advantage of the panoramic views. Look for the critically endangered walia ibex and meander through enormous troops of gelada monkeys, casually photographing as you walk amongst them. You will also visit an AWF Classroom Africa school, which provides access to high-quality primary education for the local children. B,L,D daily
- Day 9 Bahir Dar Nov 9 2021This morning, depart by road and arrive in Bahir Dar in time for lunch on the shores of Lake Tana. In the afternoon, take a boat tour to visit the local monasteries of Lake Tana, taking in their vibrant colors and learning of their rich history. B,L,D
- Day 10 Lalibela / Addis Ababa Nov 10 2021On your final full day, board a private charter flight to Lalibela, home to one of the world’s most astounding sacred sites. Nearly a dozen subterranean churches, each carved entirely out of a single block of stone centuries ago, continue to be in use today. Religious ritual is central to life in this town of 10,000 inhabitants — with more than 1,000 of them being priests. Enjoy lunch at Ben Abeba, which offers spectacular views, before flying onward to Addis for dinner and overnight at the Shreaton Addis. B,L,D
- Day 11 Addis Ababa Nov 11 2021After breakfast, transfer to the airport for your independent homeward flight. B
What’s included in the cost of this safari expedition?
- Intra-tour airfare
- Accommodations on group dates
- Excursions, activities, and meals as listed in the itinerary
- Services of experienced English-speaking guides
- Arrival and departure transfers between the group hotel and airport regardless of day or time
- Selected beverages included with lunch and dinner
- Potable water
- Medical expense coverage and emergency evacuation insurance
- Game drives in 4×4 safari cruisers, with guaranteed window seat and no more than six people per vehicle
Located in the heart of the Ethiopian capital, Sheraton Addis sits on a hilltop overlooking the city, nestled between the National Palace and the prime minister’s residence. This 5-star hotel mixes African refinement with modern accents, and boasts glittering pools with underwater music, an indulgent spa menu of soothing massages at Aqva Club, and several gourmet restaurants. 24-hour service and fine amenities await and all rooms and suites are designed with exceptional comfort and personalized attention in mind. All rooms feature individually-controlled air conditioning, an electronic, in-room safe, flat-screen TV, mini-bar, marble bathrooms, plush bathrobes, slippers, Luxury Collection amenities, and free bottled water, coffee and tea.
Perched on the edge of the escarpment, Limalimo Lodge is the perfect home base for exploring Ethiopia’s Simien Mountains National Park. Combining simple luxury and elegant design in a stunning setting, the lodge promotes sustainable tourism with minimal environmental impact, and provides new opportunities to the local community. The bar, restaurant and terrace provide breathtaking views along the Simien escarpment and give you plenty of space to relax in, including an inviting fire pit for cool evenings. The communal areas are an ideal place to spot wildlife from. Eagles, vultures and many more soar past; gelada monkeys, klipspringers, jackal and leopards amongst others are often spotted from Limalimo. Guest rooms are scattered amongst the trees below the bar and restaurant area and reached by winding paths. All rooms have views of the surrounding landscape.
Bale Mountain Lodge
Bale Mountain Lodge is an eight-room boutique wilderness lodge set in the pristine wilderness of Bale Mountains National Park. The central lodge blends beautifully into its hilly surroundings, and features a traditional ‘tukul’ dining area that overlooks the sweeping vistas of the valley and mountains beyond. All lodge ‘menyetta-bets’ (guest-rooms) are spacious and comfortable with a wood burning stove in each room to provide warmth and a cozy atmosphere. Furniture is locally manufactured using sustainable wood, and all soft furnishings are locally-sourced and are of the highest quality with an emphasis on comfort with Ethiopian style. To help protect the unique surrounding habitats, the lodge uses eco-friendly practices for micro-hydro power, water, and waste management.
Kuriftu Resort & Spa
Breathtaking landscapes encompass the resort and guests can enjoy an outdoor pool and sunbathing terrace that overlooks gorgeous Lake Tana. An organic spa and gourmet restaurants are the perfect places to relax after a full day of exploration. Each room has air-conditioning, desk, safe, TV, bathrobe, slippers, toiletries, and a coffee maker.